goTaiping.com 

     Brings you to the fantastic heritage town
                                                    Taiping, Perak, Malaysia

 
 

 Kota Ngah Ibrahim - Matang Museum

Kota Ngah Ibrahim

Kota Ngah Ibrahim - Matang Museum is located at Matang, Taiping, in vicinity of Jebong, Perak. It was built by Ngah Ibrahim, who carried the title Orang Kaya Menteri Paduka Tuan. He was the son of Che Long Jaafar, the first Malay who opened tin mines in the Larut, Matang and Selama areas in 1840. This complex also doubled as a home, fort and administrative centre and covers an area of 0.8094 hectares. This building was constructed using only rock-based materials.

After Ngah Ibrahim's death in Singapore on Feb 4, 1895, the building was put under the English administration until it was converted into the Matang Malay Teaching College (1913~1922). After Teaching Collage, it was used as Malay School (1923~1941). During Japanese occupation in the Malay States (1942~1945), it functioned as the Japanese Army's headquarters. After Japan surrendered and the World War II ended in 1946, it was transformed into a Malay School (1946~1984). The fort was then converted into the Matang Museum in 1985.

Admission fee: free
Opening hours : 9:00am ~ 5:00pm daily
Close on Aidilfitri and Aidiladha day
Tel : 05-847-7970